Saturday 26 November 2011

Figuring out my bike cam...

About six months ago I picked up a small (and very cheap) digital camcorder to use with my bike. There's definitely a growing trend for wearing these cameras, partly I think to generate videos for Youtube but I think they really prove their value in catching the occasional driver trying to drive you into the kerb. After 6 months of looking at the packet I finally decided to have a go at getting mine to work...




The first thing I noticed was how small these cameras are, no longer than the length of your thumb and probably the same width. Out of the box they come with a variety of mounts and attachments although not anything designed specifically for a helmet.



My first thought was to mount the camera directly onto the handlebars- this was really easy to do but meant that every single bump in the road was transfered to the camera and made the final video unwatchable...






So with a couple of cut up innertubes I managed to fix a camera mount onto the top of my helmet and after a couple of adjustments it was ready to go...check out the final result!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting. I always wondered what the picture from these cameras was like.

    ReplyDelete